Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Advanced Study in Science & Technology, Guwahati
Elima Hussain is working as a Senior Research Fellow in the Mathematical and Computational Science Division, Institute of Advanced Study in Science and Technology (IASST), an Autonomous Institute under the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India. She has expertise in medical image analysis and its application using deep learning and computer vision. Ms. Elima is focusing her research on the early diagnosis of cervical cancer using artificial intelligence techniques under the supervision of Dr. Lipi B. Mahanta. Her work on developing software for early diagnosis of cervical cancer using pap smear images has also completed the proof-of-concept stage and is successfully undergoing the clinical trial phase in some renowned hospitals in the region. This work has received recognition from many sources. Dr. Harsh Vardhan, former Union Health Minister of India, has personally appreciated and acknowledged the hard work. Dept. of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India is closely following the foster development to carry to the next level that of transition from lab to land.
Her research interest focuses on computer-aided diagnosis as well as medical image processing and its application using artificial intelligence.
- Navarun Das, Elima Hussain, Lipi B. Mahanta, Automated classification of cells into multiple classes in epithelial tissue of oral squamous cell carcinoma using transfer learning and convolutional neural network, Neural Networks, May 2020, ISSN 0893-6080, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neunet.2020.05.003 (Impact factor = 8.050).
- Lipi B. Mahanta, Elima Hussain, Navarun Das, Lopamudra Kakoti, Manish Chowdhury, IHC-Net: A fully convolutional neural network for automated nuclear segmentation and ensemble classification for Allred scoring in breast pathology, Applied Soft Computing (Elsevier), Volume 103, 2021,107136, ISSN 1568-4946, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2021.107136 (Impact factor = 6.725)
- Elima Hussain, Lipi B. Mahanta, Chandana Ray Das, Manjula Choudhury, Manish Chowdhury, A shape context fully convolutional neural network for segmentation and classification of cervical nuclei in Pap smear images, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine(Elsevier), Volume 107, 2020, 101897, ISSN 0933-3657, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.artmed.2020.101897 (Impact factor = 5.326).
- Elima Hussain, Lipi B. Mahanta, Chandana Ray Das, Ratna Kanta Talukdar, A comprehensive study on the multi-class cervical cancer diagnostic prediction on pap smear images using a fusion-based decision from ensemble deep convolutional neural network, Tissue and Cell (Elsevier), Volume 65, August 2020, 101347, ISSN 0040-8166, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tice.2020.101347 (Impact factor = 2.466).
- Elima Hussain, Lipi B. Mahanta, Himakshi Borah, Chandana Ray Das, Liquid based-cytology Pap smear dataset for automated multi-class diagnosis of pre-cancerous and cervical cancer lesions, Data in Brief (Elsevier), Volume 30, June 2020, 105589, ISSN 2352-3409, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2020.105589 (Impact factor = 1.7).
- Mahanta L.B., Hussain E., Bora K. (2021) AIM and Cervical Cancer. In: Lidströmer N., Ashrafian H. (eds) Artificial Intelligence in Medicine. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-58080-3_253-1.